Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Miss Sassy Pants

Sassy


I know I'm not delusional but The Princess has really been sassy lately. Since she started "Big School" (pre-k), her mouth seems to run a mile a minute. She was always a talker but the content of the conversations are just a bit more advanced. When I was growing up my mother would say I was "showing-off" or "being smart".

For instance, today, we were taking Kyle to work and on the way back we stopped to the grocery story to pick up a few items. We get back in the car and before I move the vehicle I tell the Princess to make sure she's buckled in her booster seat. Well, this evening she let me know that 'I know what I'm doing, mother, don't I know what I'm doing daddy'. Hubby and I just looked at each other. He, of course, thought it was funny. I did too but I didn't let her know it.

There have been many other instances where the Princess has absolutely caught us off guard. She learned what I call "playground lingo"--those words or phrases that elementary school children use with each other. However, there's nothing bad or harmful about them. I do make sure I understand what she has said. If I don't agree with it, I will let her know and ask that she not say it again.

I talked to my sister today and told her how the Princess had changed since going to "big school". Her words of encouragement were.....

BETTER YOU THAN ME

Please share your child's growing vocabulary or use of words/phrases they picked up at school.


5 comments:

Petula said...

That's funny... What the Princess said and what your sister said. I can't even keep up with the two middle ones' mouths since they started head start. I head Amareah say to Andre the other day: "You don't have to keep telling me over and over. I hear you." I just shook my head.

Petula said...

Oh, by the way, I tagged you over at my place. :D

Soulsearcher said...

It never ceases to amaze me how easily kids pick up on the lingo. I'm experiencing this now with my four-year-old granddaughter. And she's just in pre-school! It sounds like your Princess is very bright--both a blessing and a curse (as she'll pick up on everything!) Enjoy the challenge! And laugh with your husband when she's out of earshot.

Lin said...

When my son was 3, he got this robot guy, Alphie, that you could put different question cards in him and you pressed his buttons to hit the correct answer. Alphie would prompt the kids by saying "insert next card" or "press the button to answer". Over time the cards got kind of rumpled and didn't quite register as quickly as they once did, leading Alphie to keep repeating his requests. My son had finally taken enough of Alphie's nagging and screamed at it "Ok! Ok! Enough already, Alphie!". I guess maybe he must have heard me do that to the kids nagging me?!? It was funny to hear such a grown-up thing coming out of a 3 year old.

Unknown said...

I think it is a phase. At least that is what I am hoping for your sake and truthfully - for mine too. With a young son I am sure this type of thing will be coming for me too.

He doesn't say too much but his fallin out is what gets me. Of course this happens in public so all the more embarrassing!